Christians are like jungle trees, said our pastor one evening at a mid-week service. You might think that’s crazy, but it’s not. He went on to show why:
When a fisherman wants to build a boat or a barge, he looks for wood. He chooses a jungle tree and not a tree from his backyard. The jungle tree has weathered many a storm and passed through several tests. It is tough and can survive attacks. But a backyard tree cannot.
If you are a born-again Christian, following the Lord Jesus Christ, you are not like a tree in the backyard, but like that jungle tree, which has survived in spite of forest fires, storms, strong winds attacking it. That’s because your roots are strong, deep and wide, founded on the Word of God – the Bible. You have been exposed to attacks from people, situations, the devil and his army…but you have come out a winner through the Blood of Jesus!
Consider this: out of a total of 6 billion people worldwide, only about 700 million people are born-again Christians. That’s only 11.66% of humanity! God has definitely chosen you to act as a blessing for the other 5.3 billion – or 88.34%; has He not? So your knowledge of the Bible and its application needs to be real strong. As James rightly says, “…be you doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.” (James 1:22; Also read Luke 6:46 and Romans 2:13)
Study the Bible every day – it acts like food for the spirit. Even if your roots are strong, deep and wide, they need to stay that way lifelong! True, sometimes there is not even some time. But try to make at least some time!
Purchase a Study Bible from Christianbook.com, if you do not have one. You can buy a version that suits your needs, but I suggest you buy either the Open Bible (New King James Version) or The Thomson Chain Reference Bible (King James Version). The NASB/NIV versions are good too.
The question we want to ask ourselves before going to bed is:
“Have I opened my Bible today?”